Home > Utility > Let Front Row Access Other User’s iTunes Account on the Same Computer

Let Front Row Access Other User’s iTunes Account on the Same Computer

I wanted to set up my main iMac in a central location to replace an aging “half basketball” iMac that’s used for playing kid cartoons and music. I would like for this computer to play all the content in my iTunes library, but I do not want my account wide open for (little) people to muck about in.

Fast User Switching to the rescue! Kind of. If I leave iTunes running in my account and switch to the Kids account, their iTunes can see my shared library; that’s a good start. I want Front Row to be able to see that item under “Sources,” but it does not.

People seem to appreciate my post about Streaming iTunes over SSH, and it turns out that the trick there helps us solve the Front Row problem as well. Running a single dns-sd command takes care of the problem (all one line):
dns-sd -P "Local iTunes" _daap._tcp local 3689 localhost.local. 127.0.0.1 "Arbitrary"
How you run that is up to you. If you want to always, and sometimes falsely, advertise that you have an iTunes library shared, you can make this command run permanently with launchd. One way to do this is to create a file in ~/Library/LaunchAgents called something like net.iharder.shareitunes.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
		<string>localhost.local.</string>
		<string>127.0.0.1</string>
		<string>Arbitrary Text Record</string>
	</array>
</dict>
</plist>

You can log out and log back in to kick start this, or you can get it started from the command line:

launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/net.iharder.shareitunes.plist

Enjoy!

Categories: Utility Tags: , , ,
  1. September 15th, 2011 at 00:45 | #1

You are a genius. This allowed me to get Front Row back on Lion when I thought all hope was lost. I posted my solution here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3195183?start=167

2. Louis
    September 21st, 2011 at 11:38 | #2

Hi

I tried this, but it didn’t work. I used vi to create the file, copied it to ~/Library/LaunchAgents/net.iharder.shareitunes.plist

When I run the command launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/net.iharder.shareitunes.plist I get the following.

launchctl: unknown subcommand

so I tried to run it manually from the terminal. when I do this, it doesn’t file the filename (autocomplete) when I hit the tab key to complete the line, even though it shows up in finder. When I hit the tab key at the end of launchagents/ it shows files that are not in my finder window.

Not sure what that means.

I then moved the file to my Desktop and re-ran the command from the terminal and below is what is showing.

dns-sd -P “Local iTunes” _daap._tcp local 3689 localhost.local. 127.0.0.1 “Arbitrary”
    Registering Service Local iTunes._daap._tcp.local host localhost.local. port 3689 TXT Arbitrary
    11:27:31.231 Got a reply for record localhost.local.: Name now registered and active
    11:27:31.231 Got a reply for service Local iTunes._daap._tcp.local.: Name now registered and active

but when I go into frontrow / sources / local itunes, it does it’s thing and comes back to my computer name ituens lib and a local itunes lib. I go out and back into sources and file the computer name itunes, and it still shows no content, and if I pick the “local itunes” it looks like it is stuck in a loop. showing just the round circle “hour glass”, and I have to etc out of it.

Any Suggestions?
    TIA Louis

3. JYF
    September 30th, 2011 at 12:22 | #3

Doesn’t work for me. I’m using a French-localized Front Row taken from Snow Leopard, could it be the explanation?

4. JYF
    September 30th, 2011 at 12:24 | #4

Details: in “Sources”, Front Row only shows “iMac”. No “Local iTunes” at all (and iTunes local sharing is enabled).

5. subhash chi
    October 1st, 2011 at 02:36 | #5

hi Robert. my problem is same as Louis….please…………find some solution….

6. Eng Gian- Malaysia
    October 5th, 2011 at 21:35 | #6

It’s working! Thanks Robert

7. Jonathan
    December 28th, 2011 at 19:05 | #7

Umm I am not trying to step on anyones toes or anything, but I did a little playing around with Frontrow and found that my iPhoto library worked without any issues already and I also found an easy way to make my iTunes video library (or any video folder) work with Frontrow as well.

In the end, all I did to make the video portion work was to create an alias (shortcut) to the iTunes movies and tv shows folders and then place them in the Movies folder that pops up as an option for Frontrow.

This way all I have to do is open Frontrow, then select the Movies Folder, then go to either the iTunes movies alias or the iTunes tv shows alias and it opens up the actual folder containing the video files themselves which sidesteps iTunes all together. Frontrow doesn’t need iTunes permission to play the video files…it just needs the right video file format. So as long as the actual video file is friendly with Frontrow, it can be played without going through the hassle of involving iTunes.

Doing it this way worked like a charm for me and it is just as user friendly as it was with previous to all of the changes that Apple made. If your curious…I am running a 2008 15″ Macbook Pro with OSX Lion 10.7.1 and iTunes 10.4.

The only catch is that I couldn’t figure out how to make the music work. Granted I didn’t really spend much time working on it because I never really use Frontrow for music. If you are someone who uses Frontrow for videos and photos like me then you might give this a try.

1. Go to iTunes music folder
    2. Locate the Movies and/or TV shows folder
    3. Right click on that folder and select “make alias”
    It will then make an “alias” (which is just a shortcut to that specific folders location)
    4. Drag that “alias” into the Movies folder
    5. Then start up Frontrow to check that its in the Movie folder, which it should be…
    6. Then select that “alias” and it automatically go into the iTunes video folder that you made the alias of and allow you to play any video file as you normally would with front row
    7. Enjoy being able use Frontrow again.

I hope this helps.

8. Teo – Rome, Italy
    January 3rd, 2012 at 17:25 | #8

Hi Jonathan, Hi Robert and Hi everybody,

I have found and tried the same you explain above just few minutes before discovering this thread. It’s perfect with video files. The problem for me is that MUSIC in iTunes doesn’t like to be played in Front Row. I recently updated iTunes to the 10.5.2 release and it seems not to work with the trick used by Robert.

Does anyone know some updated informations about the issue?

9. Kiz
    January 4th, 2012 at 13:17 | #9

Wow!! That tip about creating aliases worked for my movies so well chuffed.

Not worried about my music. Can stream it from my iPod/ipad or macbook to external speakers connected to an Apple Express.

Also got an Apple TV and iTunes Match so can stream them through that. But Front Row for movies is awesome cos much better interface for watching movies.

So thanks guys

10. Dave
    January 20th, 2012 at 12:39 | #10

Great actually got it to work, only one slight gripe in as much as it does not seem able to pick up the artwork for any movie, TV Show or music any thoughts anyone?

11. Pete
    February 12th, 2012 at 08:14 | #11

This works for music, but not my video files.
    I used ‘Movie2iTunes’ to get my AVI files into iTunes, small MOV files to represent the AVI. Works great to get my AVI’s into iTunes, but when I share on network, they don’t show. Any idea how to get around this?
    Works great for sharing music though.

12. February 12th, 2012 at 09:01 | #12

@Pete I can’t speak to your situation directly, but I’ve had trouble with AVIs in iTunes too, even wrapped in a QuickTime movie. For instance even sharing with Windows iTunes on another computer, MOV-wrapped AVIs give me grief.

Frankly I’m disappointed in the whole industry when it comes to media centers. Plex (plexapp.com) is nice, but it gives me a whole other set of trouble.

13. Peter
    February 13th, 2012 at 11:11 | #13

@Robert I’ve now taken to using Quicktime Pro 7 or Handbrake to convert my AVI collection to MOV or M4V files. These share just fine in iTunes, and so with your script they show up in Front Row. Not perfect still but very acceptable.
    Question: Is the new iTunes unable to communicate with Front Row or is Front Row unable to communicate with the new iTunes? Or is it that the mac-hatter installer of Front Row missing something vital that is needed to make the whole thing work again?

14. November 16th, 2012 at 03:35 | #14

Hello every one, here every person is sharing these kinds of know-how,
    thus it’s fastidious to read this web site, and I used to visit this webpage every day.

15. Mountain Lion
    May 2nd, 2013 at 02:17 | #15

Is there a way to undo this and get the “Local iTunes” share that points to 127.0.0.1? I gave up on Front Row shortly after doing this, and now I want to remove this useless share from showing under my shared libraries in iTunes. Thanks.

16. Mountain Lion
    May 2nd, 2013 at 02:18 | #16

CORRECTION to my prior post: I want to remove “Local iTunes”, not get.

17. May 18th, 2013 at 19:07 | #17

Now this recipe is asking me and that i realize
    it can be a winner with my good friends. You are entitled to
    five forks together with a very high five all in a single.
    Many thanks Vickie for publishing this fantastic recipe.

18. May 22nd, 2013 at 21:23 | #18

But the great just one will nevertheless be the device that satisfies you.
    In buy to have productive marketing and advertising and promoting, you require
    to know your consumers.

19. July 2nd, 2013 at 12:27 | #19

I am really impressed with your writing skills as
    well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did
    you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the
    nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog
    like this one these days.

20. July 19th, 2013 at 05:00 | #20

Wonderful site you have here but I was curious about if you knew
    of any community forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article?

I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get advice from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Appreciate it!

21. July 23rd, 2013 at 01:10 | #21

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you can be a
    great author. I will always bookmark your blog and may come back in the foreseeable
    future. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great posts, have a nice afternoon!

1. February 12th, 2012 at 03:33 | #1